Minutes of the Special Council Meeting held in the Council Chamber, Braeside Avenue, Ringwood, on Monday 20 February 2017 at 7:15pm.
Cr Nora Lamont (Deputy Mayor) Mullum Ward
Cr Samantha Marks Mullum Ward
Cr Mike Symon Mullum Ward
Cr Kylie Spears Arrabri Ward
Cr Marijke Graham Wyreena Ward
Cr Rob Steane Wyreena Ward
Steve Kozlowski Chief Executive Officer
Marianne Di Giallonardo Director Corporate Services
Phil Turner Director Planning & Community
Trevor Welsh Director Operations, Infrastructure & Leisure
Stephen Onans Team Leader Governance
In the absence of the Mayor, the Chief Executive Officer opened the meeting and welcomed all present.
Statement of Recording
The Chief Executive Officer read the following statement -
“Ladies & Gentlemen
Please note that this meeting is being recorded.
All care is taken to maintain your privacy; however, as a visitor in the public gallery, your presence may be recorded.
By remaining in the public gallery, it is assumed your consent is given if your image is inadvertently recorded.
I also remind all present that Local Government decision making, unlike State and Federal Government, does not afford the benefit of parliamentary privilege and hence no protection is afforded to Councillors, Council Officers and the public for comments made during meetings that are subsequently challenged in a court of law and determined to be slanderous.”
Election of Acting Chair
The Chief Executive Officer called for nominations of Acting Chair.
Cr Steane nominated the Deputy Mayor, Cr Lamont
There being no further nominations, Cr Lamont was declared Acting Chair.
The Deputy Mayor, Cr Lamont, took the Chair.
The Acknowledgement of Country was read by the Deputy Mayor.
Cr Tony Dib, JP (Mayor) Arrabri Ward
Cr Paul Macdonald Arrabri Ward
Cr Michael Macdonald Wyreena Ward
CONFLICT of Interests
Moved Cr Spears, Seconded Cr Marks 1/17
THAT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF SECTION 76C OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT 1989 (THE ACT), MAROONDAH CITY COUNCIL
1. NOTES IT HAS REVIEWED THE COUNCILLOR CODE OF CONDUCT, DATED APRIL 2016
2. ENDORSES THE CHANGES PROPOSED AS AT FEBRUARY 2017 TO THE CODE OF CONDUCT
3. ADOPTS THE CODE – FEBRUARY 2017 - AS ATTACHED TO THE REPORT OF THE DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES AND PRESENTED TO THE SPECIAL MEETING OF COUNCIL HELD ON 20 FEBRUARY 2017
4. NOTES THAT COUNCILLORS ARE TO INDICATE THEIR COMMITMENT TO THE 2017 CODE BY SIGNING A COPY OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT DATED FEBRUARY 2017
5. FURTHER NOTES COUNCILLORS ARE TO MAKE AN INDIVIDUAL DECLARATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF THE ACT – SECTION 76C - THAT THEY HAVE READ THE 2017 CODE AND WILL ABIDE BY IT; AND SUCH DECLARATION TO BE IN WRITING, BE MADE BEFORE AND WITNESSED BY THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
Each Councillor present collectively signed a copy of the Code of Conduct and their individual declaration, witnessed by the Chief Executive Officer.
The meeting closed at 7:22pm.