Minutes of the Statutory Council Meeting held in the Council Chamber, Braeside Avenue, Ringwood, on Wednesday 9 November 2016 at 7:30pm.
Cr Tony Dib, JP Arrabri Ward
Cr Paul MacDonald Arrabri Ward
Cr Kylie Spears Arrabri Ward
Cr Nora Lamont Mullum Ward
Cr Mike Symon Mullum Ward
Cr Marijke Graham Wyreena Ward
Cr Michael MacDonald Wyreena Ward
Cr Rob Steane Wyreena Ward
Steve Kozlowski Chief Executive Officer
Marianne Di Giallonardo Director Corporate Services
Phil Turner Director Planning & Community
Trevor Welsh Director Operations, Infrastructure & Leisure
Stephen Onans Team Leader Governance
Peter Tully Governance Advisor
The Chief Executive Officer took the Chair and opened the meeting.
The prayer was read by Mr. Scott Hawkins, Urban Life Church.
The Acknowledgement of Country was read by the Chief Executive Officer.
Cr Samantha Marks Mullum Ward
ELECTION OF ACTING CHAIR
The Chief Executive Officer requested nominations for the position of Acting Chair.
Cr Lamont nominated Cr Steane as Acting Chair.
The Chief Executive Officer asked Cr Steane whether he accepts the nomination.
Cr Steane accepted the nomination.
There being no further nominations the Chief Executive Officer declared Cr Steane as Acting Chair.
Cr Steane took the Chair.
Moved Cr Symon, Seconded Cr Graham 160/16
1. NOTES THE OATH/AFFIRMATION OF OFFICE AND THE CODE OF CONDUCT DECLARATIONS THAT WERE SWORN/MADE BY ALL NINE COUNCILLORS ELECTED AT THE OCTOBER 2016 GENERAL ELECTION
2. RESOLVES THAT SUCH DOCUMENTATION BECOME PART OF THE OFFICIAL MINUTES TO THIS COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 9 NOVEMBER 2016 – Refer attached
Moved Cr M MacDonald, Seconded Cr Lamont 161/16
THAT WITH RESPECT TO MAYORAL AND COUNCILLOR ALLOWANCES COUNCIL NOTES:
1. THE ARRANGEMENTS ARE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE ORDER IN COUNCIL PUBLISHED WITHIN THE GOVERNMENT GAZETTE ON 27 NOVEMBER 2008 AND THE SUBSEQUENT ANNUAL REVIEWS OF LEVELS CONDUCTED BY THE STATE GOVERNMENT
2. ALLOWANCES WILL BE PAID MONTHLY
3. THAT ALLOWANCES WILL BE THE SUBJECT OF A REVIEW BY COUNCIL ON OR BEFORE 30 JUNE 2017 IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 74 LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT
4. ALLOWANCES IN THE INTERIM WILL CONTINUE TO BE PAID AT THE LEVELS SPECIFIED BY COUNCIL FOLLOWING THE REVIEW OF ALLOWANCES IN 2013 AS REQUIRED BY SECTION 74 LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT AND SUCH TO INCORPORATE ANY INCREASES RESULTING FROM THE STATE GOVERNMENT’S ANNUAL REVIEW OF ALLOWANCES FOR 2016
Moved Cr P MacDonald, Seconded Cr M MacDonald 162/16
THAT THE COUNCIL MEETING SCHEDULE FOR NOVEMBER 2016 TO NOVEMBER 2017 BE ADOPTED:-
November 2016 to November 2017
All meetings to commence at 7.30p.m and are held in the
Council Chambers, Braeside Avenue, Ringwood.
All Councillors present individually spoke words of appreciation for the support they received during their recent election campaigns, in seeking election as a Councillor of the City of Maroondah.
election of mayor – year 2016 / 2017
Cr Steane, as Acting Chair, called for nominations for the position of Mayor.
Cr Graham nominated Cr Dib for the position of Mayor for the coming 12 months.
Cr Steane, as Acting Chair, asked Cr Dib whether he accepts the nomination.
Cr Dib accepted the nomination with pleasure.
There being no further nominations Cr Steane, as Acting Chair, declared Cr Dib elected Mayor for 2016/2017.
Cr Steane placed the ‘Mayoral Drop’ around the neck of the newly elected Mayor.
The Mayor, Cr Dib took the Chair.
election of DEPUTY mayor – year 2016 / 2017
The Mayor, Cr Dib called for nominations for the position of Deputy Mayor.
Cr Spears nominated Cr Lamont for the position of Deputy Mayor for the coming 12 months.
The Mayor asked Cr Lamont whether she accepts the nomination.
Cr Lamont accepted the nomination with pleasure.
There being no further nominations the Mayor declared Cr Lamont elected Deputy Mayor for 2016/2017.
All Councillors present individually offered their congratulations and support to both the Mayor and Deputy Mayor.
The Chief Executive Officer, on behalf of Council staff, offered congratulations and support to the Mayor and Deputy Mayor.
The Mayor, Cr Tony Dib responded.
The Deputy Mayor, Cr Nora Lamont responded.
The Mayor, Cr Dib invited the public gallery to supper at the Karralyka Centre.
The meeting closed at 8:06pm.